Friday, October 12, 2007

Week 6: Holiness - A Heart Like His

Below I have place an excerpt of day 5 of this week's lesson

Making it Personal

Below is a list of some things every child of God needs to "put off", along with corresponding qualities we are to "put on" in their place. Prayerfuly read through the entire list and put a check next to each item that God reveals you havev a particular need to "put off." don't h urry through this exercise - ask God to use it to reveal specific areas in your life that are not holy.

When you are finished, spend time alone with God in confession and prayer, using this list as a guide. In the days ahead, take time to read and meditate on the Scripture verses that relate to the items you have checked, and begin to put on the contrasting qualities in their place.

1. Put off Lack of love (1 John 4:7-8, 20), Put on Love (John 15:12)
2. Put off Judging (Matt. 7:1-2), Put on Let God search my heart (John 8:9; 15:22)
3. Put off Bitterness, unforgiveness (Heb. 12:15), Put on Tenderhearted, forgiving (Eph. 4:32)
4. Put off Selfishness (Phil. 2:21), Put on Self-denial (John 12:24)
5. Put off Pride (Prov. 16:5), Put on Humility (James 4:6)
6. Put off Boasting or conceit (I Cor. 4:7), Put on Esteeming others (Phil 2:3)
7. Put off Stubbornness (I Sam. 15:23), Put on Brokenness (Romans 6:13)
8. Put off Disrespect for Authority (Acts 23:5), Put on Honoring authority (Heb. 13:17)

(9 - 65 to come)

2 comments:

Asia said...

I love this post, sometimes I find it hard to put off some of those things, only by His grace can I do those things. For example, forgiveness is hard to do when someone really hurt someone I know. Slowly I am starting to forgive those who hurt people I know.

asia
http://jbraggs.blogspot.com/

mariel said...

This is great you are doing these 'book studies' through your blog! I am also using my blog to do 'bible study' (growingingodliness.blogspot.com)...praise the Lord for using this usually corrupt internet for His glory!!
His servant, mariel

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online